1934 Derby Bentley 3 ½ Litre Hooper Bodied Drophead Coupe
Registration: 1934 REW124
Colour: Olive Green
1934 Derby Bentley 3 ½ Litre Hooper Bodied Drophead Coupe
Chassis Number – B71FC
Registration Number – REW124
Shmoo Automotive Ltd is offering for sale this vintage pre-war 1934 Derby Bentley 3 ½ Litre Hooper Bodied Drophead Coupe. This is a rare and beautiful automobile, in outstanding overall condition.
Having had recent and extensive works carried out to make this not just a visually appealing car, but also one that can be used and enjoyed during this year’s centenary celebration.
Summary of recent work.
Since purchasing the 1934 Derby Bentley 3 ½ Litre Hooper Bodied Drophead Coupe in early 2017, a detailed mechanical inspection has been carried out by the current custodian.
- Overhaul of cylinder head and gasket. As it wasn’t running efficiently and as per 1934 production.
- Engine cooling system has been stripped and re-built. – This includes the replacement of specific parts, which were cracked/missing.
- All parts have been moulded and made bespoke for this vehicle.
- Cabling for steering wheel controls has been replaced.
- Starter motor and alternator have been overhauled.
- Battery replaced and fitted with override shut off switch.
- All rubber hoses and belts replaced.
- Radiator blow off gasket spring has been re-engineered.
- Engine re-tune completed.
- Exhaust system part replaced.
- Both arches have been removed, stripped down and re-shaped as new.
- Running boards have been stripped and re-shaped. New rubbers have been fitted to as new finish.
- Doors have been re-hung due to age related sagging.
- Front-End re-spray completed, and rest of car has been re-polished and coated to protect paintwork.
- All chrome work has been professionally re-polished.
- Wiring and other Items
- Completion of re-re-wiring of car. (This was part complete when purchased).
- All electrics are operational, and are with without
- Semaphore arms replaced and in beautiful working order.
- Number plate – 1934 original.
- Bodywork and panels – original
- New fuel tank – This is an exact replication of the original.
- Brakes & Running Gear – Fully overhauled. Stripped down, reworked, and rebuilt as required.
- New tyres all round.
- New wheel spanner.
- All locks and key in good working order
The car is in full working order and starts and runs on the button, as it should.
We have copies of the original RREC Construction & Test Records.
The car is a low owner example, with just 3 keepers from new. The factory and dealer records show history from new until August 1939, and we all know what happened the following month.
A fascinating history and story comes with this Bentley, and one we find as interesting as the car itself. Originally ordered by Nancy Pickering on the 6th November 1935. The car was completed on 22nd January 1936. The paperwork was then altered to show a change of name, to Mrs P.F. Benton Jones. This is because on 1st February 1936 Nancy was married to Lt Col P.F. Benton Jones, in later years to become Sir P.F. Benton Jones OBE, and Lady Nancy Benton Jones.
The car spent most its early life in London. Over a period of 12yrs Mr & Mrs Benton Jones registered the car at various addresses in the capital. Eaton Square, Upper Belgrave Street, Park Lane and Clarendon Place are shown on the owners records. The Clarendon Place address has a secondary address attached to it dated June 1955 that shows Stibbington Hall Nr Peterborough.
We know that in 1950 Peter Benton Jones succeeded is father and became the 3rd Baronet Jones of Treeton, which must tie in with the car starting to move further north. (We are currently undertaking further research in this area and will update the text in due course).
The second owner acquired the car in 1964, this was then passed on to his son and the Bentley stayed with that family for over 53yrs.
During the second period of ownership, we are informed that the car had the following works carried out:
In the 1990’s the car required a repaint as the original 60yr old finish was looking a little thin in places. At the same time the green hide was renewed. The factory leatherwork had cracked and reached a point where it was felt it was time for it to be replaced. The new leather has had plenty of time to bed in and now looks perfectly at home in REW 124.
Within the period the car was also the subject of a full engine rebuild, and the Bentley has covered very few miles since. Around 3500 miles or there, or thereabouts.
Last year, due to moths getting at the original hood, it was replaced with a new hood and lining.
In late 2016 new fuels pumps were fitted, due to lack of use the diaphragms had hardened.
Although somewhat lacking in paperwork until the recent works, it is clear that this is a very fine example of a 1934 Bentley Derby 3 ½ Litre Hooper Drophead Coupe. A car that has been well cared for, and used sparingly and sympathetically over its life.
The condition of the chassis and body, plus the way it drives certainly feels like the mileage shown on the odometer of 92,000 is genuine.
This car has come to market as we have been helping to sell a select number of the owners collection. This is to allow further investment and expansion of a growing family business.
All genuine enquires are welcomed and inspection encouraged.
Listed you will find photographs of all aspects of the car, plus videos. Please get in touch if any additional information is required.
For an appointment to view the Bentley, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07970 464360.
Exterior - Hood Down
Exterior - Hood Up
A lovely patina to the interior, the car has been rewired and additional switches fitted to help in modern driving conditions.
To give you a better idea of the condition of the car.
A high proportion of our buyers are abroad, or buy from a distance, and we try to show as much as possible if you are unable to view the car in person.
Engine & Underside
The engine will be fully detailed before the new owner collects. The car is used on fine weekends, and this is why there is a small amount of road dust on the top surfaces.
As can be seen, the chassis and underside of the car are in excellent condition.
We would be happy for any inspection.